Thank you, Cam Newton.
Cunningham, Detroit Lions defensive coordinator of the venerable, is to draw up X’s and O and the NFL for three decades. He has seen many trends come and go, knows a thing or two about defining a special talent.
That’s why we lost a little sleep this week.
It can not be distracted by the Carolina Panthers 2-7 record. Not with Newton, the sensational rookie quarterback, causing a great talent, ranking sixth in the offensive that has the potential to be a thorn in the side on Sunday at Ford Field.
“It looks like a defensive end,” says Cunningham. “The flex time at wide receiver in a wild look. I saw him block (Tim) Jennings of Chicago. That was overthrown. Jennings got up and knocked him down again.”
Panthers O-coordinator Rob Chudzinski has adapted its plan to try to take advantage of the dual threat of Newton, by mixing concepts spread offense that Heisman winner used in the main Auburn to a national title last season.
“You do not want in the space,” says Cunningham. “It’s a giant, with long steps. Once it starts, which covers much ground in a hurry.”
The Lions – ranked seventh in total yards allowed and fourth against the pass – they resist double threat.
“You will have to resign his legs to help,” said cornerback Chris Houston.
Houston, which could greatly Matchups against the revitalized Wideouts Steve Smith figures he must keep them longer covers Newton was able to pull the ball down and throw on the run.
“It will take discipline on the back,” says Houston.
Three weeks ago, Cunningham was preparing his unit for another young, new breed of quarterback-with an unorthodox style: Tim Tebow.
Tebow beat the Lions with seven catches in a 45-10 smackdown in Denver in Week 8, and scored two defensive touchdowns.
It is striking that the Lions are the only team to such success against Tebow, who is 4-1, became the starter for the Broncos offense modernization option, based on the college system, it was a success in Florida.
“It ‘difficult to prepare,” says Cunningham. “That’s why I had so much in the last three weeks. The thing that we have that other teams do not have a good team speed.”
Cunningham did not stand to see a heroic Tebow against the Jets on Thursday night. Tebow led to a winner from 95 yards at the crucial moment and covered by a barrage hit a 20 yard scamper.
Veteran coach has seen the headlines on the morning of Friday. He was not surprised.
“Do not do is win,” Cunningham says, “and everything to win him all the time. There are some guys like that, I coached against in my story. They just won. They do not seem enough. Like Phil Simms. You can compare Simms is (Dan) Marino, and these guys played during the day, and you want to go, “Come on.” Well, all Simms did not win. “
The Friday before the Lions played in Denver, Cunningham said his unit has been licking his lips because of deficiencies and passer Tebow.
“We play guys like Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler,” said Cunningham.
And now the cam.
“Cam is more of a power guy,” said Cunningham. “It is not real smart in your pocket. But he can beat you. I’m really impressed with the rookie.”
Other things to think about, entering week 11:
• Key matchup: Giants quarterback Eli Manning vs. Nnamdi Asomugha, Asante Samuel and the Eagles side: When the Giants and Eagles met at the Linc in Week 3, Manning – with a little help from big-play wideout Victor Cruz and others – develop secondary Philadelphia burned four touchdowns. Without the hack, he left a 29-16 victory with a 145.7 efficiency rating, which remains his best season. Including this effort, Manning has played his best football since the Super Bowl season (17 TDs, 9 ints, 97.0 rating), which significantly reduces the turnover that plagued last year. The Eagles secondary, meanwhile, continues to struggle as part of a broad overview of the defense in general. Asomugha, the big free agent signing, had to adapt to more zone schemes after distinguishing himself as a man covered from man to man with the Raiders.
• Who’s hot: Michael Bush. Darren McFadden not? No problem. In the three games since suffering a sprained McFadden of the midfoot, the Raiders fourth attack has just been running in the tank. Bush took with aplomb. At week 10 win at San Diego, Bush racked up 242 offensive yards (157 on the ground, 85 receiving) – the most by an art thief Powell in 1963. He is the only player in the NFL this season after 150 yards rushing and 75 yards in one game. McFadden was head of the NFL to rush for an injury, a major reason why Bush an average of only seven rushes in the first six games. The last three games, Bush ran for 352 yards on 66 carries and McFadden an average of 5.3 yards per rush-like. There were no less than 96 yards rushing in one of the events. A test takes just a Sunday in Minnesota. The Vikings’ defense against the run allowing only 3.7 yards sixth per carry – fifth in the league.
• The pressure on Philip Rivers. With the way the Bears’ defense has played lately, Soldier Field is not the ideal place for a team to try to take a series of four defeats. But it is the implementation of the rivers and the Chargers, who struggled to establish prolific offensive markers were used. Of course, the river is the focus of suspicion. His passer rating (80.2) is more than 20 points below its 2010 figure and has launched more selections through nine games (15) than in 16 games (13) last season. Of course, no SPROLS Darren and tight end Antonio Gates missed a lot of time with a foot injury. And the river has had its share of bad decisions and poor shots. But another factor was the protection. Rivers – playing behind a wound stitched O-line could be without three starters on Sunday – was captured 25 times (the Chargers to tie the bags allowed the sixth in the league) and endured 32 coups another quarterback.
• Rookie watch: Tyron Smith. There are no buyers remorse for the Cowboys, who picked Southern Cal tackle back in ninth place and saw a steady development of young players in the league. Smith, 20, plays right tackle, is the Dallas offensive lineman most consistent. During the process of the project, the Cowboys impressed with the work ethic of Smith – to grow, he worked for years with his parents’ business cleaning – and characteristics were evident when he broke into the professional ranks . The post-practice tutorials with O-line guru Hudson Houck, who began training camp continues throughout the season. And Smith has impressed the team with his enthusiastic attitude and willingness to learn. It was not perfect. He had failures that resulted in sacks, but there are no major concerns.
• TiVo it: Bengals Ravens.Marvin Lewis, aka the longest history of role-playing coach of the Bengals, he returns to Baltimore – where he was a D-coordinator of the Super Bowl XXXV Squad – a team who try to grab share of first place. Lewis, a legitimate candidate for coach of play with the rookie quarterback (Andy Dalton), has never come back to this end of the season with the type of ammunition. But it is a fact. Bengals and Ravens on Sunday tilts identical 6-3 records. The winner was drawn at the top of North-Steelers tie. Bengals players Steelers last Sunday, but then some players the game praised the Pittsburgh Dalton. Lewis reiterated that the Bengals baseball field to see themselves as bullies to compete in the division. Ravens in turn, become after a loss – even though a lot of different situations. A week after edging Pittsburgh, Seattle blew the ring on a weekend in the biggest upset.
• stomach for a surprise? Cardinals at 49ers.John Skelton is 2-0 since replacing an injured Kevin Kolb as the quarterback of Arizona. Go for three? Skelton gets his shot, but after beating the Rams and the Eagles, just the level of resistance increased the defense table. San Francisco (8-1) – which ranks 11th in total yards allowed and first against the run – has produced an NFL-high 21 win glue to provide a better league-13 turnover ratio. It is a challenge to Skelton, but at least he made the best place to start the game. It is connected with Larry Fitzgerald seven times last week for 137 yards, 2 TDs and a gain of 37 yards to the 1-yard line to set up the winning touchdown.
• My road to Super Bowl 46 goes through … Detroit. After publishing the first 5-0 start since 1956 in the franchise, the Lions have lost three of four games – the worst of which occurred last week when they were undermined 37-13 in Chicago. Now there are two traditional games in five days. First, the rookie sensation Cam Newton just called the Carolina offense of the sixth. Then, the most popular quarterback in football, Aaron Rodgers led the Packers in the game before Thanksgiving. If the playoffs were held today, the Lions (6-3), can be described as an NFC wild card. A barely. If you will be the case a week from now remains to be seen. And besides fever against the Bears that led to a handful of fines in the NFL, the Lions Matthew Stafford quarter has a broken finger on his hand and throwing stars, wide receiver Calvin Johnson scored two touchdowns in the last four games.
• Dreams and reality: only three weeks before the big teams in the playoffs, the 20-team Super League you can not go on during the second season, Marion Motley Crew begins its laborious offseason conditioning program. Crew is 2-8, which is pretty good for last place in the East. No hope for this weekend? Well, the opponent, the Packers Cheerleaders Connect-heavy, that Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, and a guy named Bush – Michael, Reggie – and favored by 25 It takes Tim Tebow wonder – Sam Bradford at quarterback, and Mathews, Gates played the Windy City to terminate the win. I think it will be a long offseason. The moral of the story: winning teams built wild … and other movements of personnel.
• steep slopes: The Bills (5-4), trying to stay within reach of New England (6-3) in the race for the AFC East after suffering back-to-back losses, the hope to get rid embarrassing rash in Dallas last weekend with another road trip. The trip to Miami for Sunday’s game marks the second installment in a three-game swing. Such planning is not in their favor. Since 1990, 106 teams had three consecutive road games … and 68 returned with signs of losing all three games of … Speaking of schedules, they seem to favor the Patriots in the AFC East. New England hosting Kansas City on Monday night not to play another team that currently has a winning record until visiting Buffalo on New Year’s Day. And there is little guarantee that the bill will head to week 17 on the positive side of .500. Meanwhile, in the NFC East, added to the slate of Dallas hopes of catching first-place Giants (6-3).
Week 3, has attracted criticism from the results of Cruz, two – 74-yard help of a broken roof and a 28-yard, sky-scraping jump between Asomugha and a second end zone defender. In both cases, had argued that Asomugha would be covered by aid. Samuel also drew some heat as part of the defense that has surrendered the fourth quarter, leading to five losses this season. Now comes the rematch at The New Meadowlands Sunday evening. Philly D, contains a statement to make Manning & Co. Then again, if you go down to the fourth quarter run, all bets are off.
It is being drained a career-high 44 times. Sunday Tips: Know locate Julius Peppers anytime.
It also helped that he moved his Dallas lineman most technically sound, guard Kyle Kosier from the left side and aligned with Smith, where he became a pair of eyes for the novice. The Cowboys expect Smith, 6-5, 307, will be over the training season to play harder and possibly in the range of 320 pounds. As for the task at hand, Smith is being tested in Washington on Sunday, when often compared to another rookie outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, who was impressive in its own right and had five sacks and four fumble caused.
Back at home, they will probably be more difficult. Baltimore is 4-0 at home this season and won 14 of its last 15 at M & T Bank Stadium. Two key players probably did not play because of injuries. Sensational Bengals receiver AJ Green has a knee hyperextension. Ageless Ravens Ray Lewis is the icon of nursing a bruised toe. But even without stars, Marble is a high power.
Next three cowboys’ opponents – Washington, Miami and Arizona – have helped the Giants draw a 19/08 when it first Saints and the Packers on Sunday night, after the Clash Of course, the program also ensures that the Giants and Cowboys are able to resolve things themselves, the two Matchups. in the last four weeks.